People often ask if I memorize bug numbers. I've only memorized a few bug numbers; my speed comes from having memorized parts of bug summaries and these searching tricks:
- I use Bugzilla QuickSearch for 99% of my searches. I only use query.cgi when I need "changed in n days" or things only available in boolean charts (such as bug history).
- I include resolved bugs in most of my searches (using "ALL") so I can follow links from duplicates.
- I restrict my searches to bugs with 2 or mote votes (using "votes:2") when I search for a bug I know is "popular". About 9% of open bugs have 2 or more votes.
I also change bugs so I can search for them more easily.
- I change summaries to make bugs show up in searches by adding words that I'm likely to search for.
- I change summaries to make them easy to understand in search results by making them more precise or shorter.
- I cross-reference bugs that are closely related by adding a comment to each bug pointing to the other bug.
If I know that two bugs are cross-referenced, I often use the "collect buglinks" bookmarklet instead of skimming comments for the link.