What's new in Deer Park Alpha 2
This page lists the improvements in Deer Park Alpha 2 (released July 12, 2005) over Deer Park Alpha 1. Download using Mozilla Developer News links or Download using FTP.
To get an idea of the changes that might happen between now and Firefox 1.5 (also known as Deer Park and previously known as Firefox 1.1), read Firefox 1.1 plan, Firefox 1.1 team, or the Firefox 1.1 bug report.
New Browser Features
- 216466 - Use error pages instead of dialogs for e.g. HTTP networking errors.
- 298293 - Fast back and forward (bfcache). You can tweak this feature by changing browser.sessionhistory.max_viewers from 3 to another number.
- 179656 - Allow drag-and-drop reordering of tabs. You can also reorder tabs using the keyboard by focusing the tab bar and then pressing Ctrl+Left, Ctrl+Right, Ctrl+Home, or Ctrl+End.
- Fixed (?): 296868 - Improved software update service with cross-session incremental downloads and new update-notification UI. (Disabled by default for alpha. Coming soon: binary patches rather than full downloads of new versions.)
- DOM Inspector, Talkback, and Reporter (optional components in the Firefox installer) are now extensions.
- Reintroduce IDN using a whitelist of top-level domains with safe policies, roughly matching Opera's whitelist. IDN domains in non-whitelisted TLDs are displayed in punycode (xn--etc), preventing English-language domains registered there from being spoofed. (More information on Gerv's blog)
- 179845 - Support dragging a link onto the New Tab / New Window toolbar button.
- 288053 - Re-enable automatic-ntlm auth for proxies.
- Report Broken Web Site feature in Help menu.
- 260054 - Add context sensitive Help to Options dialog.
- 236300 - [Mac] Safari Profile Migrator.
- 274374 - [Mac] OS integration features: Set default browser, set desktop background, and mail integration.
New Web Developer Features
- 295401 - Allow DHTML accessibility to be used in text/html.
- 290344 - Implement DHTML accessibility description relations.
- 286303 - Implement CSS3 syntax for cursor urls.
- 295544 - Expose more designMode options to web apps.
New Extension Developer Features
- 292368 - Scriptable Hash Function API.
- 295265 - Reintroduce chrome registry overrides.
- 253742 - Allow extensions to ship platform-specific XPCOM components (dll/so) based on user OS.
- 295247 - Allow extensions to ship plugin DLLs.
- 296430 - Allow extensions to ship searchplugins.
- 295109 - Support pr-loading gssapi libraries for negotiateauth.
- 255619 - Ability to restrict entire extensions to compatible operating systems.
- 223097 - Interface for checking a Node against a XML Schema type.
- 285584 - Make download & extension manager use a new accessible XBL widget, richlistbox.
Notable bug fixes
- 266737 - Bookmarks Toolbar is blank/empty only showing chevron/">>" after being resized while minimized.
- 259454 - IME input (e.g., Chinese, Japanese and Korean) cannot be performed in Find Toolbar when opened with "/" or "'".
- 176079 - Popup blocking does not stop Flash from opening windows. (Read more at jst's blog.)
- 100022 - PAC: first page/homepage load fails (b/c automatic proxy configuration is slower than first HTTP request).
- 123315 - Search plugins (engines) should be installed in the user's profile directory.
- 230693 - Missing reload within view source window.
- 262915 - View-source: pseudo protocol forces opening of new window.
- 224002 - Double clicking tab close button creates new tab.
- 243893 - Opening a new tab in menuless popup window results in invisible tabs.
- 263532 - "Remember logon" dialog box should have "No" as default.
- 294609 - Restore Ctrl+Enter to highlight for the Find Bar.
- 227826 - URL of current tab incorrectly changed when Alt+Enter opens new tab from location bar.
- 251625 - .part files not removed when cancelling or removing downloads.
- 231048 - Download manager poorly renames existing files by incrementing number suffix.
- Windows-specific bugs
- 191919 - [Windows] Opentype fonts with CCF are ignored.
- 118563 - [Windows] The new print properties dialog does not save papersize.
- 293353 - [Windows] Canvas - alpha transparency renders wrong colors (when compiled with VC6).
- 255947 - [Windows] Missing borders for the progress bar with native classic widget on windows.
- 283730 - [Windows] "Save As" dialog tries to overwrite link/shortcut (.lnk) file instead of opening the directory/folder. (This was fixed in a way that does not make Firefox users vulnerable to a security hole in Windows.)
- 76831 - [Windows] Slow to restore from minimized state (default config.trim_on_minimize to false).
- 241282 - [Windows?] When choosing an alternative location via "Browse...", the Installer "defaults" to ns_temp subfolder.
- Mac-specific bugs
- Linux-specific bugs
- 261679 - Provide anti-aliased PNG icons for Gnome and KDE.
- Web page rendering and interaction
- 1781 - 1px double border invisible.
- 62485 - Script type="text/ecmascript" is not recognized.
- 292295 - Margin collapse fails if parent uses property clear.
- Bugs that affect extensions
- 295237 - PrefWindowVs opened from Extension Manager lack pane switcher (toolbar).