I have a bunch of ideas for extensions. I'll blog about a few in detail, but here are the ideas I can describe in one or two sentences.
Find and search
- Improve Find by showing the locations of matches on the scrollbar (like some IDEs) (bug 259640).
- Automatically turn frequently used "I'm Feeling Lucky" address bar searches into keyword bookmarks, which are faster and don't change unexpectedly.
- Highlight Google search terms in a page you reached by clicking a Google search result.
Removing web annoyances
- DisableAutoRefresh (like RefreshBlocker) but only for refreshes to the same URL or refreshes longer than 30 seconds.
- Disable insecure connections to certain hostnames (e.g. mail.google.com), redirecting to https if possible.
- Show onclick events (bug 229055).
- Make Alt+D always work to focus the address bar (ignore accesskey="D").
- One-handed shortcuts (single-key shortcuts, or not).
- Assign keyboard shortcuts to bookmarklets.
- Ctrl+Alt+click to save images.
- Show favicon in title bar for trusted sites.
- Edit this page with NVu.
- Warn me if I load Slashdot too many times in an hour.
- Caps lock warning (oops, already exists).
- QuickLaunch: stay in memory even after the last window is closed on Windows.
- Dump all open urls to clipboard or text file (bug 33328).
- Tab Manager (list of tabs and windows) (bug 159853).
- Back to previous site (like "Rewind" in Opera) (bug 182138) (DomNav sorta something like this but with a user interface I don't like).
User stylesheet manager (like Greasemonkey but for user stylesheets) (hint: use user stylesheet API and site-specific rules).Stylish
- Planet-like view of feeds to which I am subscribed.
- Right-click any form control, "Set as default". (For example, I should be able to set a default departure city on southwest.com and a default zip code on weather.com.)
Automatically correct dumb typos in the address bar (e.g. "google.cmo") (bug 175634).URL Fixer Automatically back up text typed into textareas.Built into Firefox 2.
- Ajaxify Bugzilla.
For more ideas, see the comments on my October 2004 post, Request for extension ideas. Feel free to base extensions on these ideas, but I'd appreciate a mention on the home page for your extension if you got the idea from me.
Update 2007-06-01: Crossed out three of the ideas, since I've seen extensions that do those things or Firefox now does those things.